Desks come in all shapes and sizes, but it can be a lengthy process to try and find the right desk for you. In fact, this is why many DIYers often choose to make their own work desks themselves.
When you make your own desk, you can choose the design style, the type of wood you want, whether you want the wood stained, and how much storage you need. What’s more, you can create a wood desk at any budget whereas the desks you buy in-store can cost an arm and a leg.
What wood works best for a DIY desk?
Quality hardwoods are one of the best types of lumber to build a desk. This is because hardwood lumber already plays a key role in the construction of fine furniture.
Hardwoods are often prized for their beauty and grain, which makes them a wonderful choice for a desk. To help you determine which quality hardwoods to choose for your project, here are some of the most sought-after hardwoods that are used for desks:
- Cherry wood. Cherry wood can either be a light brown or a deeper reddish-brown color. The color of the wood will actually deepen over time, which makes cherry wood a popular specialty wood product. It also has a close, distinctive grain compared to other types. Figured cherry is available, such as curly, fiddleback, quilted, and more, if you want something with a bit more flare
- Maple wood. Maple wood is very strong and comes in a reddish or light brown color. The wood grain can either be straight, curly, wavy, quilted, or bird’s eye.
- Black Walnut wood. Black walnut is currently the king of the fashion trends, with a rich, dark color. It is widely regarded as one of the most easily machined wood species. However, with the current demand for walnut, prices are higher than many other species.
- Quarter Sawn Oak wood. Oak is one of the more “traditional” species used in furniture. It is great for a craftsman or arts and crafts style project. It makes incredibly strong furniture. Quartersawn oak will show the characteristic “fleck” that is beautiful and classic.
- Ash wood. Ash is a light-colored hardwood that is both strong and easy to machine. It lends itself to beautiful projects with a clean, modern look. Plus, it is a very economical choice. Sadly, the emerald ash borer beetle has been impacting the ash forests, but there is still plenty of ash lumber available.
Looking for hardwood lumber for your next big DIY project?
The number one most energy efficient material with which to make products is wood. That’s why many DIYers love to use wood for major projects like desk building and deck construction.
If you’re looking for hardwood lumber such as figured cherry wood pieces or big leaf maple wood, Horizon Wood is the has the lumber and wood slabs you need. To learn more about our hardwood products and saw mill process, contact Horizon Wood today.